There has never been a military in the entire history of the human race that has gone to war equipped with more than the least that it needs to fight its enemy. War is expensive. It costs money and it costs lives and no civilization has an infinite amount of either. So when you fight, you conserve. You use and equip only as much as you have to, never more.
– Old Man’s war by John Scalzi
An organization will need trained people, resources, equipment, and support to succeed.
The question is:
- Do you want the best people?
- Do you need as much time and money as possible?
- Do you need the best equipment?
- Do you need all the help you can get?
Or can scarcity increase creativity and help people focus on what is really important?